6 Posts, 3 voices

Voices

Hey Everyone! I must admit that I am rather new here. I believe that I am posting this in the right place, but should I not be...Well, I'm sure we can solve that puzzle when we come to it. 

The reason I am creating this is to sort of guage potential interest for a number of different things. I usually never have just one game that swims around in my head. I usually have several in fact. However, due to life, laziness, and sheer lack of mental fortitidue, I usually do not have time to run/play in any more than one game at a time. 

This is one such occasion where I have a multitude of different ideas using different systems, different settings, and perhaps different methods, depending upon what they are. Before I will talk about those Ideas though, I would like to get a few core personal concepts out of the way first:

I do not have a long pedigree of games that I have ran. I cannot point to ten plus years of expereince as a gammaster. I know that on the one hand it really doesn't "matter", but I figured I would get that out of the way first. Have I ran games before? Absolutly! Have they all been amazing, rich, deep experiences for all involved? No. I wish, but no. In fact, some of them have been the complete opposite of those things. And though I will admit to having a certain amount of self-deprication that might be unhealty, I can say that I would never want to forget the lessons that some of those games have taught me. 

As far as my actual experience goes, in terms of games I have ran in the past:

• Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition
  • Shadowrun 4th edition
  • Dragon Age 
  • Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition 
  • Marvel Heroic Roleplaying 
  • Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition (was planning on upgrading to 3rd but never did)

Secondly, I consider myself more of a narrative focused player/gammaster at heart. I know for some people that term "narativist" doesn't really mean anything, or that somehow that means I don't like "oldschool" games and gaming. That second part is not necessarily true, I just like to put some of my focus on more narrative and character elements, than focus upon stats, ability bonuses, and other such system concerns. I have no prefernace for players, so long as the player and myself can come to some form of cerntal understanding with what both of us want to experience. Above those two things that I listed to start this particular paragraph, I try to be a rather fair and unbiased individual when it comes to playing games. It doens't always end up being the case, but it does more often than not. 

Okay, with those two concerns sort of "out of the way" for the moment we can get to what we are really here for: Games and Game Ideas! 

So, I have had a couple of games/game ideas buzzing around my mind for awhile now, and I would like to see at least one of them come to fruition in some way or another. I will present them in a very cerntal, probably rambly, but semi-focused, manor, and describe some elements that I would like to have added/ or to see from them. 

The first Idea that I have is to run a campaign of Numenera. I like this game a lot, and yet haven't managed to do anything with it since I purchased the core rulebook many moons ago. I have had a "campaign concept" circling around my head for some time now, and am still in the process of fully fleshing it out. The basics are:

The campaign "title" is something like: The Seven Warlocks

The player characters arrive in a rather surprisingly large Aldeia (small community in the sort of "free" lands known as the Beyond), that is shockingly large, particuarly knowing the location where it is at. This particular community has a large gathering of Aeon Priests (a sort of quasi-religious group of knowledge seekers) as most Adelia are. However this particular community is troubled, mostly paranoid, about a group of Aeon priests that have broken from their clave and have taken up individualst goals. The townspeople taking to calling these "lost" priests Warlocks, the Members of the Clave request that the player characters investigate each of the last known whereabouts of these seven and try to discern their intentions, or to stop them if they have flown off the handle. 

This game is going to be a bit open. I haven't fully fleshed everything out yet, and it is very uch (as of this post), still mostly a work in progress. We will go over everything, tone, themes, mood, character creation, in the first session or before. Hopefully anyone who is interested will be willing to create their characters when we can get together and be around the webcam. 

I would like to run this for at minimum three, at max four players. 

The Second Idea is for a D&D 5th edition Game:

I really like 5th edition. I would like to try my hand at running it. 'Nuff said. However, for this and before characters are made, I would like to have the first get together with the group be a game of Microscope. Microscope is a brilliant lite, gm-less, roleplaying game that allows a group to create an entire world, history, etc within a single play session. I would like to do this because I would like all of us as a group to feel as if they have participated within the building of an  "original" setting, past just what you brilliant roleplayers out there can come up with once characters are all said and made. 

I would be willing to run this for anything from two to around four players. 

The Third Idea:

The third idea is for a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Game that I have been tossing around for some time now, but have finally kind of come back to recently. The go to title is: Justice, like lightning. Those familiar with Marvel comics, may have already stumbled upon what the game is about. But if you stick with me for a bit, we can get to some of the more intense aspects. 

The Game takes place in an alternate Earth. I don't have a number for it yet, but I am working on it. Anyway, the premise is that in a nebulous "near-future" A lot of the Marvel superheroes have in fact either been killed, retired, or left in one way or another. New memebers have arisen to take their places in one form or another, but one group that has never seen such an event occur is the Thunderbolts...

The players will be playing teenagers, somewhere in the senior in highschool to just entering collage age range. This characters will find they have unique gifts, or stumble upon strange and powerful objects that imbue them with powers similar to those of the core original members of the thunderbolts team.

The tone is a bit odd for something like this, in that I am going for a more lighthearted/ good guy vibe, with shades of grey. As opposed to a dark or grim and gritty style game.

the themes of the game are: Legacy, and the Sins/transgressions of the past; and the nature of Heroism, and its effects; as well as redemption.

The game itself will draw inspiration from the early/more heroic aspects of the Thunderbolts, as well as from the main Marvel Universe and the MC2 universe. I want to point out though that as far as the MC2 and Thunderbolts "cannon" of comics are concerned, I have not  actually read them. I know right, its terrible. However, the ideas of reformation, and the nature of heroism always appeals to me as a concept. Also this new world is a bit different than the standard marvel universe, or any listed here, and when we all get together I will go over that in much, much greater detail. Be prepared if there is a decent amount of interest in this one, that I will go far too in depth of the changes, and current "trends" as far as this marvel universe is concerned. 

Also, character creation in this game will be a bit...Wonky. It won't make sense at first, and will seem like I am forcing a lot of things onto the players as opposed to them choosing things. I have devised a scenario, that isn't part of world canon, that will help the players build the more important parts of their datafiles. 

I want to do character creation this way, due to the fact that I want the Player Characters to feel like "original" and "new" indviduals, that are inspired by those heroes that came before, but aren't those heroes that came before if that makes sense? Ask me about it and I will go into a ton more detail. Essentially though it will work like this:\

• I take each of you through a simple sequence of semi-scripted events. Each of these beats will have a major "choice" to be made by the player in terms of how their character would react in the situation given. 
  • These sequences will determine your affiliation dice, two of your distinctions, and at the end of it, a specialty or two, or three. 
  • Once the events have concluded, I will give each of the player characters a powerset(s), based upon what would be a cool/intersting/random choice for that individual. I will also give your last distinction through this as well. 
  • Also you will be given a milestone by me at the end of each individual scenario after all of the stat blocks have been completed, and you will be allowed to create a second one of your choice. 
  • I will also be choosing basic familial backgrouind details, with some of the felshier parts controlled by me. I know that is terrible, and I apologize, but certain character inspriations will make more sense this way I think. 

This is all in an effort to help create more personalied characters, while tying them into the Thunderbolts world so to speak., while also giving a lot of the mechanical/datafile choices (powers not withstanding), to the players to control.

Realistically I am looking for at minimum three players, and at max four or five. 

Wow, okay. You made it this far. you should recieve a medal! Hopefully one, or more of these will get some interest buzzing with any luck. 

Oh right, the important part: availibility. 

Well, I am currently living in Michigan, and my time is both abundant and scarce all at the same time. I currently find myself mostly free all day on wednsdays, and during saturday nights. I am a bit flexible depending upon what everyone else needs, but it would be great for anyone and everyone who is interested in any of the game ideas above to post here, and PM me maybe, detailing availability and see where we can overlap time wise. 

Once again, all of you should recieve a medal. Too bad I have none to give at the moment. Hopefully I will hear from some of you in the near future!

Welcome my man!

"Secondly, I consider myself more of a narrative focused player/gammaster at heart. I know for some people that term "narativist" doesn't really mean anything, or that somehow that means I don't like "oldschool" games and gaming. That second part is not necessarily true, I just like to put some of my focus on more narrative and character elements, than focus upon stats, ability bonuses, and other such system concerns. I have no prefernace for players, so long as the player and myself can come to some form of cerntal understanding with what both of us want to experience. Above those two things that I listed to start this particular paragraph, I try to be a rather fair and unbiased individual when it comes to playing games. It doens't always end up being the case, but it does more often than not. "

You will find that many of us here are like minded on this, and I'm sure you will find some great games, and some new friends.

Thank you very Much! And I do not doubt that there are many of similar mode here on this site, but thank you none the less. 

Also, just to say, that it was your appearence(s) on the Vigilance Press podcast that lead me to the website, lurking for awhile until finally caved recently do to lack of a local game group. So thanks!

Welcome! Glad you are here in our humble adobe of Infrno!

Don't be dis-heartened if peopel arn't posting. The forums have ALWAYS been tough to get any traction around here unless you put "Monsterhearts" , "Urban Shadows", or "MOVE system" in the title. It's the big thing going around Infrno, "MOVE" fever. That, and people like to send private messages more often than post on the forum, no idea as to why though!

As to those game...!

I love ALL of the ideas, but that isn't very helpful.. I'll break it down...

Marvel Heroic

Well, it DEFINATELY seems that this is your 'baby' of the three games you suggested since you have the most work typed up on that :) Like you probably read from my post, I don't have any extensive knowledge on Marvel (and very minimal on the Thunderbolts, apart from name and member list), so I'm glad that we won't be held to cannon chains. The idea behind the game, "the ideas of reformation, and the nature of heroism" is the main thing that appeals to me, as well how the character creation systems will work out, very interesting way of doing it! I'd totally join this in a heartbeat.

Numenera

I haven't touched the system, and heard some great things from it, but I'm always up for learning new systems, regardless of how bad/good PR they have. For the idea, luike you said, it isn't complete (as you stated), and I am not a guy to try to make someone rush making a game (and I don't like rushing making gamse as well!) but I am enjoying the idea of it being a bit more 'open' since we will have our choice between which of the seven we want to go to, their conflicting ideas as to why they left, maybe the players assisting them in their endevour if it appeals to them, some characters may have disagreements if they find a warlock that has ideals they support... Lots of possabilities! Great potiential, and something that I wouldn't mind playing in one bit.

D&D 5.0

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I have seen it and have been interested in trying it out. As far as world-building, I've used Microscope and have enjoyed using it everytime I have world-built! And that allows us, the group, to decide what we want to play in a story-line we get to somewhat develop since we created the world and have included things that we want to see and enjoy. Gotta love player-driven story! 

Hope that is my interests, which boild down to me wanting to play everything :)

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Thank you! 

The Marvel Ideas is my 'baby' in so far as it has been a concept in my head for a longer period of time. I of course am interested in running any of them, but I can't help showing just a little "bias" for the Thunderbolts Game. Hopefully we will get some other posters at some point in the very near future to see what we can start up. 

Hellooo Infrno! and welcome to 2015! I sure hope the start of the new year is going at least well for everyone here. It has been a long time since I even looked at this particular page, but it didn't seem to bring up too much in way of responses.

In that case, I think I will narrow this down quite a bit. I would really love to run the third game idea for a group. As such, that is the particular game I am seeking players for currently. If anyone is interested, (or hopefully still interested), you can send me a private message here for more details if they are necessary. Otherwise, feel free to ask questions/ show interest right on this thread as usual.

Hopefully the narrowed down choice will give this search a little more weight.