3 Posts, 1 voice

Voices

All right, I'll step up. This is a fairly standard Supers kind of game, using ICONS Assembled (because I'm writing an adventure for it for a game publisher). (This is not yet that adventure!) I'm thinking a series of linked adventures, loose membership as people decide whether they like my GMing style or their characters. We'll start with one adventure (which will probably be several sessions because I can't seem to keep anything short.) If people are having fun, we'll extend to another, and so on.

Two to four characters, all folks who have heard of one another and aren't against working together. (Ideally a team, but not necessarily.) Action starts in one city, but be open to the occasional world- or galaxy- or dimension-spanning adventure. Mechanical part of character creation would be by email or here in the forums before the first session.

Setting will be a mix of the implied setting in the ICONS stuff and my own stuff. I'll be shooting for a Bronze Age feel, but might not get it. Characters will probably be the premier characters in the city (unless you don't want to be).

I'm willing to teach anyone without the rules. The first edition of ICONS is PWYW at RPGNow; I can summarize the differences for anyone who wants to know. (If you know ICONS, I don't care if it's random or 45-point build plus origin, any origin power levels level 5.) I'm in EDT, and my availability is Thursday nights through Sunday nights or Sunday afternoon.

Any interest?

Ah. I should describe ICONS for the people who don't know it.

Think of it as the lovechild between FASERIP and FATE. I'd say it's more rules-light than, say, Mutants and Masterminds.

Six attributes, specialties (aka skills) add to the appropriate attribute, and a variety of powers. Damage is largely fixed (that is, a level 7 blast does 7 points of damage). The roll is your attribute + 1D6 versus the opponent's attribute + 1D6 or, in an unopposed roll, a target number.

Player characters have Determination Points, which are quite like Fate points, and let you as a player influence various mechanical things. The more powers you have, the fewer Determination points you start with.

All characters have Qualities which work in a very FATE-like manner, and can be compelled or used by the PC, though the ways in which they're used are a bit more defined.

The default is a random roll for character creation, but there is a point buy option. You can modify powers with extras and limitations. There is a mostly-complete character generator here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3757960/ICONS/Editor.html but it does require you to know what you're doing.

Here's a sample character I just rolled up:

Cosmo "Lightning" Collins, possessor of a ring with a magic genie.

Prowess: 6
Coordination: 6
Strength: 4
Intellect: 5
Awareness: 6
Willpower: 9
Stamina: 13
Determination: 2
Specialties Martial Arts, Occult, Linguistics
Powers Magic 6 (genie in magic lamp) Extra: Emotion Control 6, Extra: Telekinesis
Qualities: Favors action over discussion; Eye for a pretty face; Wants to do the right thing.

Cosmo was acting as languages expert on an archaeological dig when he found a ring with what looked like the Seal of Solomon on it. He tried it on, and found that he had control of the genie of the ring, who has now learned English. An amateur boxer, Cosmo (or "Lightning," as he prefers to be called) can take care of himself, but his ability to force his will on the genie is the thing that makes others care about the ring.

Cancelled for lack of interest. I'll try again in a month or so, or if anyone asks me for one.