1 Post, 1 voice

Voices

So I haven't been around, and I don't have a great track record when it comes to interest on this website. Still, I have been interested in expanding my gamemastering horizons into territories I would normally only be a player in. So I came up with this shot in the dark idea...

Detroit Requiem: 1947

This ain't the Detroit you think you know today. This the Detroit at its meteoric rise. A soon to be Titan, built by tough, industrious muscle using cold steel and an a spirit of lustful ingenuity. A boom time, the second war to end all wars had itself ended and the citizenry was more than ready to take on the dreams of tomorrow with the strength of today.

Of course, it wasn't all glitz and glamour. Detroit was starving for its soon to be powerhouse industry, and even with the return of some soldiers from the war effort, the monoliths of Ford, Chrysler, and General Motors, all needed a massive work force to facilitate the gorging feast of the ever increasing automobile industry. With that an influx of immigration began to boom through the the 1940's, particularly African Americans. Some of this influx caused a great deal of "controversy" at its time. If you want to call race riots controversy that is. All manner of people came in through the 40's, but by 47 people hoped that the pushback would slow a bit. Those people would be wrong to hope, and yet many hoped all the same.

For all its intensity and glory, its shining light against polished steel, dark shadows lurked beneath the chassis', and rust started to form amongst the edges of the bright hub caps. Detroit was not safe from the rising tide of the more organized criminal elements. The Detroit Partnership was the force of the American Cosa Nostra in the state of Michigan, nearly running the cities underground, while other gangs of various ethnic, religious, or other persuasions all ran around like rats to attempt to bite off a piece of the score.

But when it comes to that shadow I was talking about, that one under the Cadillac's hood, the mafia and street toughs ain't got nothing on other things that paint with colors just a little more... red.

Detroit was a new smorgasbord for the kindred, with the increase in population, and an ever expanding cityscape Detroit would prove to be a home for many wayward kindred long before the further booms of the War era. The kindred played their games with themselves and their meat racks. All of the core covenants found homes within the great city: The Invictus have most of their fingers in most of the pies across the city: from up and up auto relations, to illicit racketeering, booze running, and everything in between the Invictus managed to get an early foothold in the city, and like a deep and gnarled root has allowed them to remain ever present as a result. The Carthian Movement is seen as little more than the kindred form of a joke, what with the titans of industry building up the great city around them. The Carthians' don't see it that way, with communism becoming more than just a theoretical or unobtainable concept, and an influx of disenfranchised on the other the Carthians may just get their day in the sun... metaphorically speaking of course.

Second only to the Invictus are the Lancea et Sanctum. The rush of war and the changing tide of society has caused a great number of mortals to clench their hands all the tighter together as they pray just a little harder. What better time could there be for the Sanctified to do their sworn and godly duty? None, quite frankly. Thus the Sanctified have found yet another territory to pull into their flock to push them all the harder to the side of the angels. The circle of the Crone on the other hand are a different story altogether. Most of the other covenants would have you believe that no Crone has ever graced Woodward Avenue, or any other place, they would be dead wrong. The Circle is the least numerous of the covenants, but it is somehow the most secretive. A social adaptation some have said that has lingered within Detroit for a very, very long time. It's members, if you can find them play nice during polite outings and conversation, intent to insure others that it isn't religious necessarily but cultural heritage that they seek to honor, but behind deep and dark closed doors do the beasts of the Crone truly come out.

Lastly, what can be said for the Order of Dracul? The order in Detroit is partially complacent, and lazy. While not as low as the Crone or Carthians, the Order fill the unknown and nebulous middle ground of the territorial covenants. More than happy to continue tinkering into the kindred condition, like an engineer at their automobile, the Order seems to be playing the silent and careful waiting game within Kindred society.

As for the social glue that holds the true undercity together? For a long time the role of Prince was chosen almost entirely by the sheer abundance of the Invictus. Often with Sheriff and minor hounds chosen to appease the other covenants. This usually meant Invictus, Lacea et Sanctum, and to a lesser extent the Order of Dracul would find positions in the hierarchy of the city proper. With the occasional Crone and Carthian in lower hound positions, (if at all).

"The Prince is dead. Long live the Prince."
An odd event happened recently, the last prince of the city... died his final death at midnight 1947. As such the underworld has been in complete disarray with covenants, and some clans blaming one another for his death. The truth is that no one knows the truth at all, except that the Prince was ashed and no one is certain who, or what, the culprit truly is. As such, to both mourn the death and make peace amongst each other the covenants have agreed to form a makeshift coalition until a new rightful prince can be appointed again. Only time will tell if that will ever happen...

Game information:
- system: Vampire: The Requiem 2nd edition.
- Inspirational material: gangster and noir films, television, games, etc.
- (Intended) themes: 1.monsters within, monsters without- Detroit may be beautiful, but it hides its share of demons just like every person living in it. Turns out some of those "people" are more than just metaphorical monsters. 2. Can your last, and your future haunt you? - all men fear the future, and revel in their past, but sometimes when you look back all you see are shadows... 3. Can you leave everything behind? Gangsters and monsters have several things in common: they have to give up parts of themselves to earn the power, and respect they deserve, but how much can one person stand to lose before they go too far?
- Style: partial open sandbox, I would like characters and aspirations to inform a bit more of where the general game narrative flows.
- Tone: Medium Dark- this is vampire after all, and though Detroit in the 40's has this nostalgic feel it has its share of darkness and demons. Boundaries, both mine and the players should be discussed EXTENSIVELY before the game begins so that we are all clear and on the same page
- Characters: I would like a single session 0 for setting discussion and character generation. I'm still relearning the World of Darkness concepts, and getting used to 2nd ed so new players and old hats alike are certainly welcome. Once session 0 has been completed before the game fully begins I would ideally like to run a series of individual one shots with each player to play out their prelude, or how they become/became vampires. Characters will be constructed at the base/starting level, no extra experiences to start.
- Number of players: 2-5 players. I have run a lot of 2 player games so lower numbers has sort of become my wheelhouse for running RPGs, however if five people are interested that is find as well!