Recent character posts
About this game
Adventures in the DC Universe: Legacies (working title) is a continuation of John Cook's DC Adventures campaign centered on the Secret Sentinels, a home-brewed hero team. It will follow several new heroes (PL 10) and their own escapades in the same setting. While it will focus on these characters almost exlusively, the Sentinels will make some cameo appearances, and we may explore some of the events that made their name famous around the world - just from a new perspective.
The DC Universe is about legacies. The Golden Age. The Silver Age. The Bronze Age. Heroes passing on mantles to their protégés. Teachers and students. Fathers and sons, mothers and daughters. In the DCU, the sense of family and history is part of the very fiber of the universe.
This DC Adventures campaign will explore some of that fictional history through the eyes of several up-and-coming superheroes combating a new threat to the world. Advised and mentored by heroes of the past, allied with heroes of the present, and providing an example for the heroes yet-to-be, they will contribute their own fabric to the tapestry of this classic setting.
I'm still thinking about possible ways to bring the PCs together, and there's a strong chance we'll focus on a single fictional city as their base of operations throughout the campaign.
Style of play
This is meant to be a spiritual successor to the Secret Sentinels game, so the emphasis will be on traditional four-color superheroics using the DC Universe as the backdrop. While the heroes may have personal challenges to overcome, we're mostly looking at the upside of being a costumed crimefighter and how your characters can help improve their world. A special emphasis will be on the individual subplots, supporting cast, and personal lives of our heroes.
A big theme I'm pushing for in this one is "legacies"; how your heroes relate to their forebears, how they relate to their own families, and how the actions of all of the above have consequences on future generations.
Some basic tips for characters in this game:
* Think about what ties your character has (or may discover) to the tradition of dressing up in a costume and fighting bad guys. Is he one of a long line of heroes to take on a particular mantle? What can he learn from the past? Is he trying to escape someone's shadow?
* Be flexible about what city you use as your base of operations. I'd really like to have all of your PCs live and work in the same general area, though I've not yet picked a specific city. Chances are it'd be one of the many fictional towns in DC's America, probably one which doesn't already have a lot of heroes. We'll discuss this at our first session.
* Have some ideas for a supporting cast and a life for your dude apart from the spandex set. Its been a big feature in our other game and I'd like to continue making it a focus in this one.
* Know what your Motivation is and have some ideas for other Complications.
* Allow for change/growth/surprises. While I don't plan on rewriting the DC Universe or creating paradoxes with our Secret Sentinels continuity, part of the fun of this game is seeing how our own story and characters develop.